Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Savory, salty, and sweet

I've been enjoying this cooking blog by a former co-worker and it seems to have inspired me.  I just can't stop taking photos while I cook lately.  So here's the salad I made for dinner last night using beets from the garden (yes, those old beets from last year).

Beet and Orange Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette

Cook and slice 1-2 pounds of beets (I used 3 big ones)
Peel and slice one big orange


Whisk up vinaigrette:
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp raspberry vinegar (I used raspberry balsamic from Navidi's in Camas, WA)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1/2 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper

In hindsight some orange zest would have added a nice citrus kick.

Mix it all together and refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavors combine.  Voila! 

No comments:

Post a Comment