Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Owl-oween!

I'd been thinking about Ole's costume for a month or so. On our road trip we visited the World Center for Birds of Prey in Boise, and I used this little owl as my inspiration, but Sunday night I was staring at a pile of fabric and counting the hours until Halloween.
I got started cutting out felt feathers--they piled up quickly.
Out came the glue gun. The only real sewing in the whole costume was the simple hat shape. I made that during nap time and "winged it", pardon the pun. I never use patterns and rarely measure. Somehow I manage to eyeball pretty well, and thankfully there were no do-overs. The whole costume came together just as I'd envisioned it, and I've been busy patting myself on the back. Total cost: maybe $4 worth of felt and a bit of brown jersey for the hat.
Here's Ole catching his first glimpse of it.
We headed to the neighbor's house Halloween evening for trick-or-treating. They heeded my request for no candy and treated Ole to a healthy asian pear (perhaps that's why he's not smiling).
 Whoooooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment